The Muslim Association of Canada (MAC) is a nationally incorporated charity with chapters in 13 cities across Canada. We are currently seeking Certified Teachers to join our team at the MAC Islamic School in Edmonton, Alberta. MAC Islamic School is looking for exceptional, dynamic, qualified, and experienced certified teachers for part-time positions in Divisions 1, 2, and 3.
You must hold a valid Alberta teaching certificate or a valid Alberta Education interim certificate.
In the absence of the regular classroom teacher, your role is to help students learn subject matter and skills within the scope of pre-planned scheduled lessons and to provide meaningful instruction. As a substitute teacher, you are responsible for delivering course content, academic support, and student supervision throughout the school day. The tasks generally include implementing lesson plans, facilitating small groups, while monitoring students. You report directly to the school Principal.
Qualities and Requirements
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment with a flexible, versatile, and positive approach to new assignments
- Effective communication skills with Administration, students, and parents
- Competence in executing pre-planned lessons, delivering Alberta Education curriculum, and effective class management
- Respect of Islamic faith and culture
- Reports to the main office upon arrival; signs in and out in Substitute section of the blue binder
- Carries out the program of study as prescribed by the classroom teacher in the lesson plan.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and objectives as per lessons
- Employs instructional methods and materials deemed appropriate for meeting lesson objectives
- Maintains a neat and orderly classroom, Straightens chairs, tables, clears chalkboard, etc
- Takes attendance following school procedures
- Ensures that the students are never left unattended in the classroom
- Performs duties usually required of the absent teacher, such as outdoor supervision
- Familiar with the emergency evacuation routes and the nearest exit to the classroom assigned
- Takes appropriate measures when handling student conflict, disruption and misbehaviour
- Follows school procedures and regulations
Upon initial acceptance, the following documents are required:
- Updated Resume
- Valid Teaching Certificate
- Copies of Degree and transcripts
- Reference letters
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- Recent Criminal Record Check
- Recent Intervention Record Check
MAC Islamic School is a vibrant, growing school environment where the love of learning happens because of dedicated teachers such as you!
Competitive Annual Salary + Health Benefits
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position: Substitute Teacher
Location: Various Locations
Status: Part-Time, Contract